Sunday, November 10, 2013

Left a piece of my heart in Oxford...

Tourist / Walking Tip: It is important to cut your toenails before traveling, especially if you know you are going to walk a lot. I found this out the hard and painful way (ouch!).

From October 26th to 27th, Monica and I explored Oxford. We stopped at London first and hung out there for a couple of hours. How crazy is that! Scones and tea in London by day and exploring Oxford by night.

I cannot even begin to explain what I felt being in Oxford. I have no idea why but it felt so good to be there. I have never felt that way about a place before. I could really see myself studying/living there. Watch out University of Oxford, I am coming for ya in the next 5 years for grad school!

We arrived in London early in the morning and went to Victoria and Albert Museum. Almost all of the museums in London are free, so you have access to some of the coolest and most historic art pieces for zero pounds...which given the current conversion rate translates to zero dollars!

I am not a museum person, at all, but it was still cool to look around and see the different paintings and artworks. Someone told how England has so many famous artworks because they conquered numerous countries and stole artworks from other cultures/countries and claimed it as theirs.

Men Who Take Up Too Much Space on the Train, London Tube Edition. 

Came cross the "Love Sculpture" while we were walking around in London.
Perfect shot with the double-decker bus!

We made our way over to Brick Lane Market. It is my favorite place in London. I know I have only been to London twice but it was so fun hanging out in Brick Lane. It is a massive road filled with street food vendors (yum), vintage shops, jewelry shops and street art!

The following picture is a bagel from the famous Beigel Shop (and, no, I did not spell it wrong). 
I know it just looks like a simple plain bagel with smoked salmon, cream cheese and pepper but it was so much more than that. The bagel was so chewy and perfect. AND it was only 1.20 GBP or something. I want to go back to London just to get more bagel!

 such cool street art and graffiti on Brick Lane! 

There were numerous and countless street food all over Brick Lane! 
I also really enjoyed how not-so-touristy it felt walking around Brick Lane. I (think) it was more locals than tourists but I could be SO wrong haha.

#royal

~xoxo from London~

Later we met with Arthur (he is a Middlebury alum who just started his law grad program at Oxford) and he took us out to dinner in London. Thai food was da bomz.
Then, we left for Oxford. We got there pretty late, so we didn't do much besides grabbing a cider at the bar and sleeping. Arthur put us in the guest room and the beds were nicer than the bed in my room back at school. In short, thanks for spoiling us Arthur! I super appreciate it!

Following day, we took a tour around University of Oxford.
Side Note: Halfway through our guided walking tour, there was a storm coming in and we got SO cold that we were unable to walk anymore. I thought my feet were frozen to my shoes. We ended up leaving the tour group and going into a cafe (after having some fake Chipotle! It was still reallllly good)


hehe hi Arthur 




Monica is sad because they wouldn't let her (or me) into the school. This is the most prestigious college in Oxford. All Souls College do not have any students, rather you become a Fellow of All Souls. The top students of Oxford get a chance to complete in "the hardest exam in the world." The exam stopped after 2009 but the exam was a free-form essay consisting of an one-word prompt and students had three hours to complete the essay. Examples of the one-word prompt: water (2006), culture (1914) and diversity (2001).

The most handsome man in all of England according to Shakespeare. 

So excited to come here for grad school! Ha! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment